You might enjoy this Year 6 students – all about the basis of life in the oceans.
If you enjoyed this one, you might be interested in these:
The Cockroach Beatbox: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr4gWi9Jf6k&feature=BFa&list=PLD018AC9B25A23E16&lf=plcp
Evolution in the Big City: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckGB5lHyzME&feature=BFa&list=PLD018AC9B25A23E16&lf=plcp
Deep Ocean Mysteries and Wonder: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqly8ERIkHM&feature=BFa&list=PLD018AC9B25A23E16&lf=plcp
Today, we did Yoga and meditation and then thought about the questions above.
The reason for doing this was to see how happy you are with your relationship with nature. Do you feel happy about your relationship with nature? Are you unsatisfied with your relationship with nature? Do you feel connected with nature, or do you feel disconnected from nature?
What are the causes?
What are the effects?
Image from http://blog.groveschool.com/tag/nature-deficit-disorder/
On Monday I’m going to put the next lot of crops in the hydroponics kit. I need some people who can come on Monday Morning to help me. It only takes 10-15 minutes. If you one to come just meet me at the ATM near the old library at 7:00 and if you come late meet me rooftop building 1.
The students were given some decent paper and a small selection of chalk and oil pastels. They were asked to use shades of green and only one more colour in order to show their issue from a green/nature perspective through abstract art.
Many of them were not familiar with abstract art, which was quite a shock! However, I shared some examples of the work done by the teachers at the Green School (see previous posting) and that seemed to unlock some of their creativity.
The students wrote an explanation of their work on an index card and then they put them up on a display board.
Some of the ideas that came out of students sharing their work were very interesting and could lead on to some bigger works of art to form part of the exhibition:
- Sasha’s drawing of blue water that is becoming more and more polluted could become a large “timeline painting” that shows what we have been doing to water throughout history. It could also include some vision for the future.
- Rosna’s image of plastic bags on top of a natural background could be extended to become a painting of the Earth that is covered with cut-out bits of plastic to represent plastic bags. She could stick these on herself, or make it interactive in order to increase the shock value!
- Alfie’s growing cloud of cigarette smoke could also be turned into an interactive piece of work. He wanted to get people to sign a petition. maybe, instead, he could get people to contribute to a massive cloud of smoke?
These ideas for further development of the artwork came from Naomi Natale’s One Million Bones project.
The slideshow is doing some strange things!
“I’m a believer in nature”
Are you a believer in nature? How does a believer in nature behave?
“Unfortunately, the non-humans always lose the battle… we use, and we use, and we use.”
What does Mr. Darren mean? Think about it carefully and try and explain the meaning of his quote with detail and examples.
“Any planning for the future of any country must include planning for the environment”
How does this quote relate to your issue? Think about your issue, what is the possible future of your issue? What planning does the Thai government need to do for your issue? What environmental planning does the Thai government need to do for your issue?
Mr. Andy Dorn made a presentation about nature. He explained why nature is such a passion of his, and he shared some information about the way the future could go if we don’t start thinking about nature a lot more than we do. He made me think of the following questions:
- How often do you connect with nature?
- What connections are there between nature and your issue?
- How does this quote by Mr. Andy relate to your issue?
- Mr. Andy said that “nature is at the center of everything”. Is it at the center of your issue? Why? Why not?
- How does the quote in the picture below relate to your issue?
Photographs by TropicaLiving and Evie22 on Flickr
I am 10 years old. My birthday is on December 5th. My favourite sports are swimming and basketball. My favourite colours are most shades of blue and most other shades of green (mostly different shades of light green and lime green.) I really like staying around nature and it also makes me feel calm. I have 1 dog and his name is Figo and I have a monkey. I like going to the beach with my family, the most enjoyable beach I went to with my family is Koh Samet.